Thursday, June 12, 2008

Deco sets sights on closing stages

by Andy Brassell from Geneva
Deco knows the pressure will increase in the later stages of the competition
Deco knows the pressure will increase in the later stages of the competition (©Getty Images)

Deco hopes the individual quality in Portugal's squad will leave them in a strong position to successfully negotiate the knockout phase of UEFA EURO 2008™.

Knockout threat
The 30-year-old had an influential role in Wednesday's 3-1 win over the Czech Republic, scoring the opener after eight minutes, then setting up Cristiano Ronaldo for the goal that put his side back in front midway through the second half. With Luiz Felipe Scolari's men now certain of a place in the quarter-finals, Deco warned of the demands that would face them beyond the first round. "In competitions like this, going into the sudden-death situation, you can go out even if you play really well," he said. Yet the FC Barcelona midfielder believes with the creative strength in depth they have, Portugal are well placed to reach the later stages. "We are conscious that our best can get us through. From now, I hope this is what will happen."

Tough test
Deco admitted that Karel Brückner's side represented a far sterner test than Portugal had faced in their opening game with Turkey. "We scored first but ended up finding it difficult. However, we kept our spirit intact and that was the most important thing," he said. The speed of Portugal's breaks had proved crucial, he thought. "We defended a lot and tried to play on the counterattack. I think it's vital that we managed to do that." On a personal note, Deco feels he is edging ever closer to his best form. "I was missing the rhythm of games," he said. "A month ago I wasn't playing. The last game I played with Barcelona was against Manchester United [FC], I think." Two games in five days have left him feeling sprightly. "Today I felt much better," he concluded.

No comments: